Job Title: Software Engineer / Web Developer
Location: Waterloo, ON
Closing Date: July 30, 2013
We have to give you some of the boring, technicalities of the position, not because the job or the company is boring, but how else will you know if you are interested.
We want you to be knowledgeable of all layers of development including system and database architecture, application development, and front-end user interface design.
You will be a key player through all phases of the development life-cycle including designing, coding, testing, debugging, documenting and supporting all types of applications consistent with established specifications and business requirements to deliver business value.
It is never a boring day.
What it takes to be the right fit for MXMNation:
- you must be a self-starter
- you really love working with a highly collaborative team
- you can think on your feet in a fast paced environment while managing multiple, concurrent tasks
- white boarding is something that you think helps get everyone on the same page
- you would like to bring your dog into work (this will happen when we move to new offices)
- you understand the start-up culture and love being part of building something
- Develop state-of-the-art, test driven consumer web applications
- Collaborate with the team on application architecture design and decision-making
- Develop and test for cross-browser and device compatibility
- Work with the platform development team to effectively integrate the presentation tier with the services tier via RESTFul APIs
- Troubleshoot production support issues post release deployment and come up with solutions
- Translate highly complex concepts in ways that can be understood by a variety of audiences
- Maintain knowledge of emerging technologies, trends and standards, browser capabilities, and accessibility issues
- Develop pioneering approaches to emerging industry trends
- Influence senior leadership to adopt new ideas, products, and/or approaches
- Mentor junior developers, providing assistance where needed
- Handle smaller projects completely on your own, including coordination with other teams and 3rd parties
- Join the MXM Team and getting muddy on race weekends! (If you are up for it)
- 3+ years of Production web application development experience using Ruby on Rails
- Interacting with and building APIs and Ruby Gems
- Automated testing with RSpec or similar
- Linux (Ubuntu), Amazon EC2/S3 and Heroku knowledge
- Dynamic/interactive web UI development with heavy use of BOOTSTRAP, HAML, AJAXSCRIPT, COFFESCRIPT, LESS and HTML5, CSS3, JSON, XML.
- Strong Model/View/Controller implementation expertise
- 3+ years of relational database (MySQL) experience
- Experience working with version control systems; Git (Github)
- BA/BS Degree in Computer Science or related field OR High School Diploma/GED plus 5 years of equivalent experience
- MongoDB / Redis / NoSQL experience
- Agile software development cycle experience
We offer a competitive compensation package, and the opportunity to have a real impact.
To Apply for this position please submit via email (just click on Apply Now):
- Cover Letter (Please reference the job title in the subject line)
- Portfolio – if available